Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cornbread

Cornbread

Sometimes I like it in little flat disks, like flapjacks.
It's good with whole kernels of corn and hot peppers cooked right in it.
I like it crumpled up in a bowl with soup bean juice poured over it
or spread on a plate and smothered with pinto beans and green onions.
Occasionally I like to eat it with butter oozing form the inside dribbling down my chin.
It's good sweet like yellow cake,
or with green beans, sliced tomatoes, small tender scallions, cucumbers,
scalded lettuce and onions fresh from the garden.
I like cornbread with homemade strawberry jam, apple butter, peach butter,
butter and molassas;
Cornbread-made with bacon grease in an old cast iron skillet that granny gave to mama and mama gave to me.
Cornbread-stuffed into a glass of ice cold sweet milk for a bed time snack.
Cornbread-round, square, thick, thin, sweetened, unsweetened, hot, or cold
is good eatin'
with somehting
or by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment